It is our great pleasure to invite you to join us April 13-15, 2016 in Reykjavík, Iceland for the International Internet Preservation Consortium annual Web Archiving Conference. The event is free and open to all who may be interested in topics and challenges related to acquiring, preserving, making available and using web archives.
On Wednesday, 13 April, highlights include:
- keynotes from Hjálmar Gíslason, founder and CEO of DataMarket, and Brewster Kahle, founder of the Internet Archive, Alexa and Thinking Machines;
- a presentation by Vint Cerf, an Internet pioneer, and Rick Whitt, Corporate Director for Strategic Initiatives at Google Inc.;
- a panel discussion led by Helen Hockx-Yu, Director of Global Web Services at Internet Archive, Brewster Kahle and Steve Knight, Associate Director National Digital Library at National Library of New Zealand;
- a debrief on the April hackathon, Archives Unleashed: Hackathons as a Tool for Engaging Scholars with Web Archives, led by Matthew S. Weber, Rutgers University, and Ian Milligan, University of Waterloo;
- topical presentations on emulation by David S. H. Rosenthal, chief scientist for LOCKSS, Stanford, Ilya Kreymer, Rhizome, Dragan Espenschied, Rhizome, and Thomas Liebetraut, Freiburg University.
On Thursday, 14 April, 22 presentations cover topical areas such as policy and practices, user needs, social media archiving, researcher use of web archives, quality assurance practices, national domain harvesting and analysis and visualization of web archives.
On Friday, 15 April, there will be two tracks for a half-day of four workshops:
- Researching Web Archives Using the SHINE Interface – Jason Webber, British Library; Jane Winters, Institute of Historical Research
- Hands-on Web Archiving: Build Your Own Web Archive with Webrecorder.Io – Ilya Kreymer, Dragan Espenschied
- WARC - Pushing the Boundaries – Kristinn Sigurðsson, National Library of Iceland; Andrew Jackson, British Library; Jefferson Bailey, Internet Archive; Ilya Kreymer
- Hands-on with Warcbase - Ian Milligan, Nick Ruest, York University
Please join us! Registration is still available, but filling up quickly.