- Membership benefits
- Who can apply?
- General obligations
- Membership obligations
- Membership and payment policies
- IIPC Consortium Agreement 2021-2025
Membership in the Consortium provides access to a community of expertise and to information and services provided by the Consortium in the domain of web archiving. Membership benefits include:
- participation in the annual General Assembly and associated events
- reduced registration fee for the Web Archiving Conference & one free registration per Member Institution
- eligibility to apply for IIPC funded projects and programmes
- contribution to the development of open source tools for nomination, acquisition, curatorship and preservation
- participation in working groups and IIPC sponsored projects in the areas of tools development, standards and metadata, and collection development
- sharing experiences with a valuable network of partners worldwide about collecting born digital content, including collection policies and legal issues
- training, workshops and hackathons, led by experts in the field, sponsored by the IIPC
- learning first‐hand about approaches to web archiving, as well as new activities and tools under development
Associate members do not have voting rights and are not eligible to serve on the IIPC Steering Committee. More details about associate membership can be found in clause 12 of the By-Laws.
Who can apply?
Libraries, Archives, Museums, other Heritage or Research institutions and other organizations working on the collection and preservation of and access to Internet content are entitled to apply for membership of the Consortium.
Every member is expected to work collaboratively, within its country’s legislative framework, to identify, develop and facilitate implementation of solutions for selecting, harvesting, collecting, preserving and providing access to Internet content. Members are strong advocates for initiatives and legislation that encourage the collection, preservation and access to Internet content.
The Consortium provides a forum for sharing knowledge about Internet content archiving and to achieve Consortium goals, members:
- develop and recommend standards for collecting, preserving and providing long-term access to Internet content;
- facilitate the development and sustainability of software and tools;
- raise awareness of Internet preservation issues and initiatives through activities such as collaborative collecting, conferences, workshops, training events and publications;
- work directly with researchers and research networks to promote use and analysis of archived Internet content.
Every institution will appoint a Designated Representative who will represent the Member Institution in the Consortium’s General Assembly. Each Designated Representative shall be responsible for coordinating the tasks and activities of the personnel of the institution to which he or she belongs and is entitled to vote in the name of the Member Institution.
Members (at least two are required) can propose a formal project, such as software development. Members are encouraged to join working groups, and may also form a project team or working group to carry out specific research in a more flexible and informal manner.
As a complementary contribution apart from the membership fee, each member may bring further support to the Consortium. This support can take the form of a financial contribution, industry collaboration or human expertise.
Membership and payment policies
How to apply?
- Applications for membership are accepted throughout the year.
- To apply, send a statement indicating your institution’s interests and expertise in web archiving. Please send membership applications to membership[at]netpreserve.org.
- Include how your institution would like to contribute to the IIPC and what benefits your institution hopes to gain from IIPC membership.
Membership is valid for one calendar year as long as membership fees are up to date. A new member may apply for a pro-rated membership fee in their first year if more than 4 months have already passed in the calendar year.
- Invoicing for membership is sent to members in January each year.
- Payment is due within 45 days of invoicing date.
- One reminder will be sent for outstanding payments before the due date.
- Should payment not be received following the reminder deadline, IIPC will contact the invoiced organization to confirm their intentions relating to IIPC membership after which membership may be cancelled if payment is not forthcoming.
- Membership is automatically placed on provisional status (see below) if the fees are not paid by April 15, and reactivated if the payment is received by July 1.
- The Treasurer alerts the Steering Committee of any outstanding membership dues, with a recommendation and details about the attempts to collect fees, and a Steering Committee vote would be taken on membership termination by July 1.
- Steering Committee Member Institutions who have not paid their membership fees by July 1, lose their seat on the Steering Committee and the seat will be up for vote in the following cycle. This happens regardless of whether the Steering Committee votes to suspend the membership or not.
Any member with outstanding membership dues will be placed on provisional membership status. Provision membership status means:
- Provisional members are not eligible to receive IIPC funding, either directly or as participants in an IIPC-funded event.
- Provisional members are not eligible to receive member registration discounts to IIPC events.
- Provisional members may maintain their existing role on committees, working groups, portfolios, or projects but are not eligible to serve in officer roles or cast decision-making votes as part of these groups or to join new committees, groups, portfolios, or projects.
- Provisional members are not eligible to participate in the General Assembly.
- Provisional members are not eligible to vote in or be a candidate in the IIPC Steering Committee election.
- Provisional members may have their IIPC membership terminated at any time by a majority vote of the IIPC Steering Committee.
Provisional membership will be temporary until resolution of outstanding payments or termination of IIPC membership.
Membership fees are divided into three bands dependent on each institution’s annual operating budget.
The participation fees are set as follows:
|Annual Operating Budget (OB) in millions US Dollars||Membership Dues in US Dollars for 12 months|