ARCHIVING SOCIAL MEDIA WORKSHOP: SESSION 1: TOOLS & WORKFLOWS
About the workshop
The main idea of the IIPC Social Media Workshop is to gain a better understanding of the existing best practices. The event comprises two sessions. The first session will focus on tools and workflows in social media archiving including benefits and drawbacks of specific tools, how to choose the best tool(s) and workflow development. The second session will focus on the different selection policies for social media content. Members will present their scoping policies and the selection criteria that are used in their institutions, including the rationale behind the choice of the social media platforms to archive and which content to scope out.
Who is the event for?
IIPC members: web archivists and curators who curate web archive collections containing social media or who capture social media using (non-)commercial tools. This event is also for any IIPC members who do not currently archive social media and would like to learn more about the best practices in the community.
Questions we are considering for this session:
- What are the pros and cons of using (non-)commercial tools?
- How do you customize tools to fit your needs?
- Does the representativeness of the data start with the choice of tool?
- The dream of one general tool, is this a curse or a blessing?
- The non-obvious social media platforms (TikTok, Reddit, Twitch, …) and their harvesting tools, how do we go about this?
- How can an organization develop the best workflows for social media archiving: pitfalls and recommendations?
- Introduction [2 minutes]
- Members’ presentations [40 minutes]
- Breakouts sessions [30 minutes]
- Wrap-up & next steps [15 minutes]
National Library of New Zealand
INA: Institut national de l’audiovisuel
Netarkivet, The Royal Danish Library
The workshop is organised by the IIPC in partnership with the National and University Library in Zagreb and KBR – Royal Library of Belgium.
The registration is open to IIPC members only.
- The web : source and archive – International conference (April 3-5), Université de Lille, France
- 03 - 05 Apr 2023
- All Day